develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2005

Re: [ANNOUNCE] ExtUtils::MakeMaker 6.25_07

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
January 4, 2005 13:38
Re: [ANNOUNCE] ExtUtils::MakeMaker 6.25_07
Message ID:
20050104213749.GB5912@windhund.schwern.org
On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 04:05:29PM -0600, Craig A. Berry wrote:
> Using MMK, the build goes ok.  Most tests pass, except basic.t, which has the following problem:
>
> # %DCL-W-TKNOVF, command element is too long - shorten
> #  \DSA0:[SYS0.SYSCOMMON.PERL-5_8_4]PERL.EXE -E "chdir 'liar.dir';  system 'MMK/MACRO=(TEST_VERBOSE="1") test /Macro=(LIBPERL_A="LIBPERL.OLB",      LINKTYPE="DYNAMIC",     OPTIMIZE="/NOLIST",     PREFIX="../DUMMY-INSTALL",      DESTDIR="",     PASTHRU_DEFINE="")'
>  if -f 'Descrip
> # %MMK-F-ERRUPD, error status %X000382A0 occurred when updating target TEST
>
> Aside from the command being too long, there is a problem with having
> multiple /MACRO qualifiers on the command line; they need to be
> combined into one qualifier, though in this case all it means is that
> TEST_VERBOSE will be ignored.

I'm not so sure about that.  MM_VMS had code like this in 6.17.

# See MM_VMS->subdir_x
subdirs ::
        olddef = F$Environment("Default")
        Set Default [.subdir]
        - $(MMS)$(MMSQUALIFIERS) all $(USEMACROS)$(PASTHRU)$(MACROEND)
        Set Default 'olddef'

Which will produce results similar to yours above.  So I think having
multiple macro qualifiers is ok.  The length is a problem.  I think its
the addition of DESTDIR that nudges the command over the edge.  Thinking of
it more I don't think its necessary since install is not recursive.

I removed it from the latest snap.

> With MMS, I can't build MakeMaker at all and get the following error:
>
> $ mms
> %MMS-F-LEXNULLNAME, Encountered null filename on line 365.
>
> Line 365 contains:
>
> blibdirs : $(INST_LIBDIR) $(INST_ARCHLIB) $(INST_AUTODIR) $(INST_ARCHAUTODIR) $(INST_BIN) $(INST_SCRIPT) $(INST_MAN1DIR) $(INST_MAN3DIR)
>         $(NOECHO) $(NOOP)
>
> I believe the INST_* macros are considered null file specifications
> because they are just directory specs like [.foo.bar] rather than
> file specs like [.foo]bar.dir.  I thought we had gone back to using
> .exists files rather than directories, so I'm not sure what to
> suggest here.

I just changed the dependencies back to .exists files everywhere.

--
Michael G Schwern     schwern@pobox.com     http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
Funny thing about weekends when you're unemployed--they don't mean quite