develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2005

Re: [ANNOUNCE] ExtUtils::MakeMaker 6.25_07

Thread Previous | Thread Next
Michael G Schwern
January 1, 2005 01:39
Re: [ANNOUNCE] ExtUtils::MakeMaker 6.25_07
Message ID:
On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 04:05:29PM -0600, Craig A. Berry wrote:
> With Perl 5.8.4, OpenVMS Alpha 7.3-1, MMS V3.3-4, MMK 3.9-6, I get the following results.
> Using MMK, the build goes ok.  Most tests pass, except basic.t, which has the following problem:
> # %DCL-W-TKNOVF, command element is too long - shorten
> #  \DSA0:[SYS0.SYSCOMMON.PERL-5_8_4]PERL.EXE -E "chdir 'liar.dir';  system 'MMK/MACRO=(TEST_VERBOSE="1") test /Macro=(LIBPERL_A="LIBPERL.OLB",      LINKTYPE="DYNAMIC",     OPTIMIZE="/NOLIST",     PREFIX="../DUMMY-INSTALL",      DESTDIR="",     PASTHRU_DEFINE="")'
>  if -f 'Descrip
> # %MMK-F-ERRUPD, error status %X000382A0 occurred when updating target TEST
> Aside from the command being too long, there is a problem with having
> multiple /MACRO qualifiers on the command line; they need to be
> combined into one qualifier, though in this case all it means is that
> TEST_VERBOSE will be ignored.

Weird.  I get no such problem on the testdrive machine (spe180).  OpenVMS
Alpha 7.3-2, MMS V3.5.  Don't know the MMK version, how do I check?

Anyhow, you're right though.  That is incorrect.  I added the PASTHRU stuff
to the VMS code thinking it couldn't hurt.  I'll have to take a look at it
and see if I can make it work.

> With MMS, I can't build MakeMaker at all and get the following error:
> $ mms
> %MMS-F-LEXNULLNAME, Encountered null filename on line 365.

I definately don't get this.  Did MMS change that between 3.3 and 3.5?

> Line 365 contains:
>         $(NOECHO) $(NOOP)
> I believe the INST_* macros are considered null file specifications
> because they are just directory specs like [] rather than
> file specs like [.foo]bar.dir.  I thought we had gone back to using
> .exists files rather than directories, so I'm not sure what to
> suggest here.

Those all have real targets.  Like so:


$(INST_LIBDIR).exists :

I did it this way so that one could depend on a directory target, rather
than having to know about the .exists magic, and it would basically do the 
right thing.

Michael G Schwern
"May you eat three balanced meals a day and have healthful, regular bowel 
        -- Gimlet, son of Groin, "Bored of the Rings"

Thread Previous | Thread Next Perl Programming lists via nntp and http.
Comments to Ask Bjørn Hansen at | Group listing | About