Re: PERL_FLEXIBLE_EXCEPTIONS

From:
Marcus Holland-Moritz
Date:
December 31, 2004 07:30
Re: PERL_FLEXIBLE_EXCEPTIONS
Message ID:
20041231163027.03b36355@r2d2
On 2004-07-16, at 13:06:51 +0100, hv@crypt.org wrote:

> "H.Merijn Brand" <h.m.brand@hccnet.nl> wrote:
> :On Fri 16 Jul 2004 11:12, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
> :> On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 11:18:58PM -0500, david nicol wrote:
> :> > On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 05:16, H.Merijn Brand wrote:
> :> > > Do I hear some chainsaw rumblings in the faint distance?
> :> >
> :> > Your sawdust, sir.
> :>
> :> Thanks, but I'm not convinced that this is needed. I see no particular reason
> :> to take this out as it's all conditionally compiled, so it has no impact on
> :> the code runtime.
> :
> :One of Hugo's targets on 5.9/5.10 was code cleanup.
> :We've done a lot of that already, and I see no reason to leave this in if the
> :chance of it to ever be working is close to zero
>
> Indeed. I'd be happy to see this removed, but it would be handy if
> it could be replaced with some brief documentation pointing to the
> removed code and any other useful information (such as this thread)
> to save the next explorer having to dig the same mineshaft before
> falling down it.

Any preference on where that documentation should go?

What about putting the follwing into scope.h instead of the
original flexible exceptions documentation?

/*
 *   PERL_FLEXIBLE_EXCEPTIONS
 *
 * All flexible exceptions code has been removed.
 * See the following thread for details:
 *
 *   http://www.xray.mpe.mpg.de/mailing-lists/perl5-porters/2004-07/msg00378.html
 *
 * The original discussion can be found in this thread:
 *
 *   http://www.xray.mpe.mpg.de/mailing-lists/perl5-porters/1999-03/msg00520.html
 *
 * The original patches that introduces flexible exceptions were:
 *
 *   http://public.activestate.com/cgi-bin/perlbrowse?patch=3386
 *   http://public.activestate.com/cgi-bin/perlbrowse?patch=5162
 */