IMPLICIT_SYS and Perl_Malloc behaviour under Win32 (out of memorywith Perls malloc?)

From:
Orton, Yves
Date:
December 28, 2004 08:59
Subject:
IMPLICIT_SYS and Perl_Malloc behaviour under Win32 (out of memorywith Perls malloc?)
Message ID:
E471ED2DFD9353458E8B75FD6D6B0307B63908@defra1ex4.de.mcilink.com
This message is kindof a follow up to message
<E471ED2DFD9353458E8B75FD6D6B0307B638D4@defra1ex4.de.mcilink.com>

I just tried out building Perl 5.8.4 (using the sources from Activestate
Build 810) without having PERL_IMPLICIT_SYS set and with using Perls malloc.
I commented out the USE_IMP_SYS = define line in the makefile as well as
uncommenting the PERL_MALLOC = define line. I tried with both DEBUG_MSTATS
and without. My test code was a hybrid Inline::C/Perl tool that is quite
memory hungry.

The end result was that with Perls malloc I ran out of memory quite quickly.
I got this message:

  Out of memory during "large" request for 16781312 bytes, total sbrk() is
56289280 bytes at ....

When run with the unaltered AS build 810 it didnt run out of memory, and
Devel::Size reported that the total memory utilization for the data
structure being constructed ran to a total of 20MB.

Having said all of that, when I didnt run out of memory my tests showed that
with perls malloc things were modestly faster.

I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions, it seems odd that with the
Perl Malloc i run out of memory when without it I dont.

Cheers,
Yves