Re: Smoke [5.9.2] 23670 FAIL(m) openbsd 3.6 (i386/1 cpu)

From:
Ed Allen Smith
Date:
December 23, 2004 14:58
Re: Smoke [5.9.2] 23670 FAIL(m) openbsd 3.6 (i386/1 cpu)
Message ID:
mid+200412232303.iBNN3Ejm1182476@dogberry.rutgers.edu
In message <mid+200412232250.iBNMoC5V1181178@dogberry.rutgers.edu> (on 23
December 2004 17:50:12 -0500), easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu (Ed Allen Smith)
wrote:
>In message <20041223221957.GI77507@plum.flirble.org> (on 23 December 2004
>22:19:57 +0000), nick@ccl4.org (Nicholas Clark) wrote:
>>Well, 23666 was an attempt to stop the failures on platforms where mallocwrap
>>doesn't (yet) work. IIRC this included IRIX. So I was hoping that with this
>>Irix would all pass again.
>
>It should; am running a check now. But I was actually more thinking of it as
>an easy way to simulate a bug that should be wrappable - as in to try to
>determine, for instance, whether non-n32 (-o32 or -64) IRIX, which doesn't
>show false-positive mallocwrap tests, actually _does_ do _useful_ mallocwrap
>testing or simply isn't affected by it (either would coredump even with
>mallocwrap or wouldn't coredump even without mallocwrap), or whether IRIX is
>vulnerable in -n32 mode to the sort of problem that caused mallocwrap to be
>created in the first place. Admittedly, this test may be obvious to someone
>with more understanding than myself of exactly what mallocwrap _does_ -
>malloc is not an area of C that I am strong on (involves too much pointer
>arithmetic, addressing, et al...).

Oh, fascinating. Would perl 5.8.0 be anticipated to coredump or give
an out-of-memory error or something on the following?

perl -e 'print $#a; $#a>>=1; print $#a;'

What it does on a perl 5.8.0 compiled -n32 is give you '-1-1'. That's it. I
will try to find the time to do some test compiles of more recent perl
versions and see what they do with the above.

     -Allen

--
Allen Smith                       http://cesario.rutgers.edu/easmith/
February 1, 2003                               Space Shuttle Columbia