[perl #33157] perl 5.8.6 build chokes with db 4.3.21

From:
Steve Peters via RT
Date:
December 23, 2004 06:59
Subject:
[perl #33157] perl 5.8.6 build chokes with db 4.3.21
Message ID:
rt-3.0.11-33157-103486.16.7613109988132@perl.org
> [mjc@sleepycat.com - Wed Dec 22 14:44:09 2004]:
>
> Hi Jeff,
>
> My name is Michael Cahill and I am with Sleepycat Software.
> We have assigned support request #11677 to track this issue:
>
> > Perl 5.8.6 build fails with Sleepycat db-4.3.21 on Solaris 9 systems.
> > I am using Sun's StudioOne (version 8) compiler for both DB and Perl.
> > Perl 5.8.6 builds with no problems using db-4.2.52.
>
> The issue is that starting in version 4.3, Berkeley DB makes use of
> fdatasync to improve the performance.  This requires the librt library
> on Solaris, but the 4.3.21 release did not link that into libdb-4.3.so.
> The result is that applications using Berkeley DB 4.3.21 on Solaris must
> add "-lrt" to their link commands.
>
> I haven't built Perl from source, but I think this is how to do it:
>
>   ./Configure -Dlibs="-lrt" ...
>
> The Berkeley DB dependency on librt will be fixed in a
> soon-to-be-released update to Berkeley DB.

As this is a problem with libdb-4.3 and not Perl, this is resolved.
Please configure Perl as suggested above to work with Sleepycat db-4.3.21.