[ANNOUNCE] ExtUtils::MakeMaker 6.25_05

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
December 22, 2004 05:12
Subject:
[ANNOUNCE] ExtUtils::MakeMaker 6.25_05
Message ID:
20041222131244.GA10508@windhund.schwern.org
http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/src/ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.25_05.tar.gz
or
http://svn.schwern.org/svn/CPAN/ExtUtils-MakeMaker/trunk
or
svn://svn.schwern.org/CPAN/ExtUtils-MakeMaker/trunk
or
a CPAN near you

This is release candidate #2.  Autrijus noticed that BSD make did not
like "- @ command".  Also the new code to put SIGNATURE and META.yml into
the distdir was leaving a Makefile around that got shipped in the tarball.
Finally, using nmake 1.5 on non-9x Windows was using the dmake variety of
the new cd() code causing dist to not work 100%.

I've checked things out on OpenVMS, Win2003 + nmake 1.5 and dmake, FreeBSD
and OS X.  I need basic testing on these combinations particularly.

Win9x (nmake 1.5 and dmake)
Win9x and non-9x with nmake >= 6

And, of course, try it out on various modules.  Please report successes,
particularly if you build a big, hairy module like Tk or PDL.

6.25_05  Wed Dec 22 07:59:02 EST 2004
    - One of the 6.25 alphas broke BSD make.  It doesn't like "- @ command".
      Fixed by adding an $(IGNORE) macro.
    - 6.25 alphas caused a Makefile to be added to the dist.  Fixed.
    - The new cd() code needed to be dependent on dmake or nmake for
      Windows.  Not Win9x vs WinNT/XP.

6.25_04  Tue Dec 21 00:53:06 EST 2004
    - 6.25_03 was always rebuilding XS modules.

6.25_03  Mon Dec 20 23:04:22 EST 2004
    - dir_target() is back.  Now each directory to be created has its own
      target like before, but no more .exists or blibdirs.ts files.  This
      ensures that each blib directory is created as necessary and fixes
      things like SVN's perl bindings.

6.25_02  Mon Dec 20 03:31:49 EST 2004
    - Set PM_FILTER as late as possible so it can see all the earlier
      macro definitions.  Necessary for challenged make implementations
      like nmake.  Should fix Mail::SpamAssassin installs on Win32.
      [rt.cpan.org 4545]
    - clean and realclean are now more careful about accidentally deleting
      directories instead of files.  [rt.cpan.org 6851]
    - small fix for parallel builds, make sure pm_to_blib has run before
      we try to use stuff in blib. [rt.cpan.org 6460]
    - MAKEFILE=foo appears to have been broken for recursive builds and
      several other things.  I think this was broken by 6.18.

6.25_01  Fri Dec 17 21:29:04 EST 2004
    * *.bak added to the default MANIFEST.SKIP.
    * META.yml will no longer be generated in the build directory.  It will
      only appear in the distdir.  This should make it easier on developers,
      they don't have to worry about checking the file in all the time.
    * Similarly, the SIGNATURE file will not be updated in the build
      directory.  It will only be generated in the distdir.
    - A bunch of redundant Win9x and VMS code removed.
    - 'make test' on Windows no longer pre-expands its list of test files.
      This caused problems on large distributions like bioperl.  Thanks to
      Tim Bunce for suggesting the obvious fix.

6.25  Wed Dec 15 06:59:46 EST 2004
    - Build.PL was being considered like Module_pm.PL.  Build.PL is now
      ignored.  [radek@karnet.pl] [rt.cpan.org 8809]
    - Devel::Cover cover_db/ directory now ignored by MANIFEST.SKIP

--
Michael G Schwern     schwern@pobox.com     http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
1 4m 4 31134 h4X0R \/\/H1 15 /\/\1 5cR33N B100??!?!?!?