Should makefiles ask for permission to overwrite files?

From:
Steve Hay
Date:
December 6, 2004 07:20
Subject:
Should makefiles ask for permission to overwrite files?
Message ID:
41B47897.6060004@uk.radan.com
Recent work on Config.pm (change 23554) contained a typo which caused a
complete rebuild to be performed when running "nmake test" on Win32.

This was causing my overnight smokes of 5.9.x to hang because the build
process involves some "xcopy" commands which found themselves
overwriting files that already existed (i.e. from the first build done
by "nmake") and hence were waiting for a response regarding whether or
not it was OK to overwrite files.

I've just fixed this as change 23616, but it raised the question of
whether the "xcopy" commands should have waited for user input at all.

I could change the $(XCOPY) macro definition to include the "/y" option
which would do the obvious thing, but I wondered what the policy was on
other OS's?

- Steve

Radan Computational Ltd.

The information contained in this message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended for the addressee(s) only.  If you have received this message in error or there are any problems, please notify the sender immediately.  The unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is strictly forbidden.  Note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Radan Computational Ltd.  The recipient(s) of this message should check it and any attached files for viruses: Radan Computational will accept no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.