develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2004

RE: License for the Cwd module

From:
Joshua Hoblitt
Date:
November 30, 2004 19:10
RE: License for the Cwd module
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.61.0411301706440.29117@moa
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Horsley Tom wrote:

>> ... but it appears to me that fairly substantial patches are being
>> accepted without any sort of formal (or informal) copyright assignment.
>
> Which is the way it should be. I gave up sending any patches in
> on emacs years ago because it takes 5 minutes to create the patch
> and 5 months to fiddle the copyright assignment forms, find
> the lawyers at your corporation who can approve it, convince
> them they should be wasting their time on it, etc.
>
> If you want to bring perl development to a complete halt, by
> all means create a formal mechanism for copyright assignment :-).

There's "formalism" and then there's the GNU mess.  All I was suggesting (Btw -
IANAL) is that there be some sort of generic form to assign copyright ownership
to TPF that people can just put their name on (and possibly sign) then
email/fax/snailman/teleport to TPF.  It doesn't even have to be compulsory.

Cheers,

-J