develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2004

Re: License for the Cwd module

From:
hv
Date:
November 30, 2004 07:31
Re: License for the Cwd module
Message ID:
200411301536.iAUFaJd11901@zen.crypt.org
"Ken Williams" <ken@mathforum.org> wrote:
:Currently the Cwd module[1] has no copyright/license statement in it,
:and I'm not sure it ever has.  Since it's always been a core module,
:with no independent CPAN life until I gave it one, I think the
:intention was for it to be licensed under the same terms as perl
:itself.
:
:However, there's XS code in there that comes from OpenBSD 2.9, put
:there by Jarkko, and which bears the standard commenting about
:"Copyright (c) 1994 The Regents of the University of California, all
:rights reserved, blah blah blah."
:
:So, is this a problem?  And what *is* the license for this?  And if
:it's not "the same as perl itself", then how can we include it in the
:core?

The license is out of date: clause 3 should be excised. See for
example ext/File/Glob/bsd_glob.c for an up to date version.

When distributed as a a part of the core, the BSD license continues
to apply to that specific file, but since all (remaining) license terms
are less restrictive than the AL and/or GPL it is fine to say that you
can distribute perl as a whole under AL/GPL.

I'm not sure what the implies for Cwd as a standalone CPAN module,
but I'd guess the same implies. You should probably mention in the
README that parts of the code are copyright the Regents of the
University of California.

My reading is based on three threads from 1998/9, of which these are
some apposite references: