develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2004

Re: Smoke [5.9.2] 23566 FAIL(X) openbsd 3.6 (i386/1 cpu)

From:
Steve Peters
Date:
November 30, 2004 06:22
Re: Smoke [5.9.2] 23566 FAIL(X) openbsd 3.6 (i386/1 cpu)
Message ID:
20041130142223.GA28000@mccoy.peters.homeunix.org
On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 02:54:00PM +0100, Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:
> Steve Peters wrote:
> > I looked into these failures a bit last night.  The problem is that the
> > function getservbyname_r() is defined within the OpenBSD library, but no
> > prototype is defined in any .h file.  The smoke test, by default, assumes
> > getservbyname_r() is available, but never comes up with a proper prototype
> > to use for the function.  This leads to the test failures.   Configuring by
> > hand with -Duseithreads leads to a clean compile and no test failures.
>
> So maybe should it be disabled in a hints file ?
> What do you mean, Configuring by hand ? what's different in the smoke process ?

When running Configure -Duseithreads, when it reaches the tests for
getservbyname_r(), Configure attempts to find the prototype and fails.  It
then asks whether to use the default, which is to define getservbyname_r(), or
to override that.  It appears that the smoke test just assumes
getservbyname_r without confirming the prototype.

It does raise a bigger question of why getservbyname_r() is used if no
prototype is found, since the prototype can vary by libc implementation.

Steve Peters
steve@fisharerojo.org