develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2004

License for the Cwd module

From:
Ken Williams
Date:
November 29, 2004 17:00
Subject:
License for the Cwd module
Message ID:
2CEB0458-426B-11D9-8FAD-000A95BD9874@mathforum.org
Hi,

Currently the Cwd module[1] has no copyright/license statement in it,
and I'm not sure it ever has.  Since it's always been a core module,
with no independent CPAN life until I gave it one, I think the
intention was for it to be licensed under the same terms as perl
itself.

However, there's XS code in there that comes from OpenBSD 2.9, put
there by Jarkko, and which bears the standard commenting about
"Copyright (c) 1994 The Regents of the University of California, all
rights reserved, blah blah blah."

So, is this a problem?  And what *is* the license for this?  And if
it's not "the same as perl itself", then how can we include it in the
core?

This issue was brought to my attention by Radosław Zieliński, who would
like to create an RPM package for the PLD Linux distribution, and wants
to know what to put in the License field.

  -Ken

[1]  http://search.cpan.org/~kwilliams/PathTools-3.01_02/