develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2004

[perl #29658] FIRST_MAKEFILE doesn't work in ExtUtils::MakeMaker

From:
Steve Peters via RT
Date:
November 23, 2004 18:54
Subject:
[perl #29658] FIRST_MAKEFILE doesn't work in ExtUtils::MakeMaker
Message ID:
rt-3.0.11-29658-100907.16.8297997171273@perl.org
> [danq@brtt.com - Mon May 17 08:19:17 2004]:
>
> This is a bug report for perl from danq@brtt.com,
> generated with the help of perlbug 1.34 running under perl v5.8.1.

> The FIRST_MAKEFILE parameter seems to have changed between 5.8.0 and
> 5.8.3/4.  In 5.8.0 the following caused the output Makefile to be
> named perl_makefile:
>
>     }use ExtUtils::MakeMaker;
>     # See lib/ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm for details of how to influence
>     # the contents of the Makefile that is written.
>     WriteMakefile(
> 	'FIRST_MAKEFILE' => 'perl_makefile',
>
> In 5.8.4, the output makefile is always Makefile.  On Darwin, because
> of the case insensitive filesystem, this makes a difference.
>
> I was able to override this by adding another line to Makefile.PL:
>
> 	'MAKEFILE' => 'perl_makefile',
>
> So maybe this is just a documentation change.

This appears to have been fixed in the recent past.  Please upgrade to
the most recent version of ExtUtils::MakeMaker from CPAN and this
problem should go away.

> perl -MExtUtils::MakeMaker -e'WriteMakefile("FIRST_MAKEFILE" =>
"perl_makefile",)'
Warning: Guessing NAME [rt] from current directory name.
Writing perl_makefile for rt
> ls -ltr
total 40
-rw-r--r--  1 steve  users  19105 Nov 23 20:50 perl_makefile