develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from November 2004

JPL - post 5.8.1

From:
ced
Date:
November 10, 2004 01:24
Subject:
JPL - post 5.8.1
Message ID:
200411100129.RAA02701@carios2.ca.boeing.com

Is there any chance of Jarkko's core patch for JPL (Larry's
Java Perl Lingo) making it back into core..?

 History:  Java (jdk 1.2+) stopped tolerating Perl's environment
 diddling so Jarkko wrote a patch to just dup the environment so
 Perl can diddle its private copy. Java was happy because the
 original env was remained pristine, JPL kept working, and all
 was right with the world.

The original patch made into 5.6.1 but not in subsequent
versions that I can detect since I don't see the JPL or
NEED_DUP_ENVIRON_FOR_MODIFY defines. Jarkko updated the
patch for 5.8.1 and it's working there. However, I wonder
if its not making the cut after 5.6.1 was oversight or
deliberate euthanasia...

We're worried that Jarkko's 5.8.1 patch will eventually stop
working altogether as Perl marches on. JPL's heavily used
here in several large legacy Java applications so its loss
would cause major pain. A couple of us would gladly act as
custodians for the code and try to pitch in in whatever way
we're able.

Rgds,
--
Charles DeRykus