develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2004

infinity changes from 5.6.1 to 5.8.3

From:
Eric Wilhelm
Date:
June 21, 2004 13:52
Subject:
infinity changes from 5.6.1 to 5.8.3
Message ID:
200406211554.23487.ewilhelm@sbcglobal.net
Hi,

I'm having trouble finding any documentation for this change, so I'm not sure
if it is a bug or not.  In the perl58delta.pod, it says "Infinity is now
recognized as a number".

I'm not sure that I ever found this functionality documented with 5.6.1, so
possibly I wasn't supposed to use it.

Examples:

sort()ing +/- infinity:
  perl -e 'print join(" ", sort({$a <=> $b} 0, 1, inf, -inf)), "\n";'

5.6.1:  -inf 0 1 inf
5.8.3:  0 inf -inf 1

The 5.8.3 behavior here can be fixed by using the 'use bigint' pragma, but not
when 'inf' is a text string (such as when read from @ARGV below), where in
5.6.1, the string 'inf' and '-inf' automagically turned into infinity.

sprintf/printf behavior changes:
  perl -e '
    print join(" ", map({sprintf("%0.2f", $_)} @ARGV)), "\n";
    ' inf 1  2.334 -inf

5.6.1:  inf 1.00 2.33 -inf
5.8.3:  0.00 1.00 2.33 -0.00

The 5.6.1 here is the one shipped with RedHat7.3, while the 5.8.3 is on Debian
'sarge'.  I've tried compiling 5.8.2, and 5.9.0 from source, and apparently
they behave just like this 5.8.3 (unless I'm missing something in the
configuration?)

I'd really like to have the 5.6.1 behavior here.  Is there some way to build
the interpreter that I'm missing, or is this a bug?

Thanks,
Eric
--
A counterintuitive sansevieria trifasciata was once literalized guiltily.
                                        --Product of Artificial Intelligence