develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2004

Re: Smoke [5.9.2] 22881 FAIL(M) MSWin32 WinXP/.Net SP1 (x86/1 cpu)

From:
Nick Ing-Simmons
Date:
June 4, 2004 11:59
Re: Smoke [5.9.2] 22881 FAIL(M) MSWin32 WinXP/.Net SP1 (x86/1 cpu)
Message ID:
20040604185909.4397.1@llama.ing-simmons.net
Steve Hay <steve.hay@uk.radan.com> writes:
>OK, forget the previous example makefile.mk which was playing with
>one.txt.  Let's look at a couple that more closely resembles Perl's
>win32/makefile.mk:
>
>makefile1.mk
>============
>.USESHELL :
>FILE = ..\tmp\foo\bar.txt
>all : makefile1.mk $(FILE)
>$(FILE) : make_file
>make_file : ..\tmp\foo\mkbar.pl
>    cd ..\tmp\foo && perl mkbar.pl
>

>If I run "dmake -f makefile1.mk" from C:\Temp then C:\tmp\foo\bar.txt
>gets written every time, even if it is up-to-date already.
>

>Furthermore, GNU make behaves the same way, which suggests I've missed
>something somewhere, rather than this being a problem with dmake.
>
>Why doesn't makefile1.mk work properly?

It is trying to cause ./make_file to come into existance, when that
has happened $(FILE) will be up to date, and so will all
but it never does so they ain't.