develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2004

Re: Smoke [5.9.2] 22881 FAIL(M) MSWin32 WinXP/.Net SP1 (x86/1 cpu)

From:
Steve Hay
Date:
June 4, 2004 08:06
Re: Smoke [5.9.2] 22881 FAIL(M) MSWin32 WinXP/.Net SP1 (x86/1 cpu)
Message ID:
40C09085.4010706@uk.radan.com
OK, forget the previous example makefile.mk which was playing with
one.txt.  Let's look at a couple that more closely resembles Perl's
win32/makefile.mk:

makefile1.mk
============
.USESHELL :
FILE = ..\tmp\foo\bar.txt
all : makefile1.mk $(FILE)
$(FILE) : make_file
make_file : ..\tmp\foo\mkbar.pl
    cd ..\tmp\foo && perl mkbar.pl

makefile2.mk
============
.USESHELL :
FILE = ..\tmp\foo\bar.txt
all : makefile2.mk $(FILE)
$(FILE) : ..\tmp\foo\mkbar.pl
    cd ..\tmp\foo && perl mkbar.pl

mkbar.pl
========
open my $fh, '>bar.txt' or die; close $fh;

If I run "dmake -f makefile1.mk" from C:\Temp then C:\tmp\foo\bar.txt
gets written every time, even if it is up-to-date already.

If I run "dmake -f makefile2.mk" from the same place then
C:\tmp\foo\bar.txt gets written if it doesn't exist, but not otherwise.

Furthermore, GNU make behaves the same way, which suggests I've missed
something somewhere, rather than this being a problem with dmake.

Why doesn't makefile1.mk work properly?

- Steve

Radan Computational Ltd.

The information contained in this message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended for the addressee(s) only.  If you have received this message in error or there are any problems, please notify the sender immediately.  The unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is strictly forbidden.  Note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Radan Computational Ltd.  The recipient(s) of this message should check it and any attached files for viruses: Radan Computational will accept no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.