develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2004

Re: Smoke [5.9.2] 22881 FAIL(M) MSWin32 WinXP/.Net SP1 (x86/1 cpu)

From:
Nick Ing-Simmons
Date:
June 4, 2004 03:42
Re: Smoke [5.9.2] 22881 FAIL(M) MSWin32 WinXP/.Net SP1 (x86/1 cpu)
Message ID:
20040604104212.3645.2@llama.elixent.com
Steve Hay <steve.hay@uk.radan.com> writes:
>>This is another of those historical things. When there are no dependancies
>>some makes run the rule. Easiest fix is not to lie to make - it must depend
>>on something
>>
>OK, that might explain why running "dmake ..\one.txt" always runs the
>rule (the ..\one.txt target has no dependencies, so the rule is always
>run).  But it doesn't explain why running "dmake all" re-creates
>..\one.txt every time: the 'all' target does have a dependency (namely,
>..\one.txt), and that is up-to-date, so I wouldn't expect that
>dependency to be made.

But make applies its up-to-date-ness rules recursively.
So it finds it can make one.txt and so applies its rules to that
it has no dependancies so _this_ make rebuilds it.

>>(even if as in the pseudo example it is Makefile itself and
>>cmd.exe or whatever does echo.
>>
>>In the UNIDATAFILES case then presumably they depend on mktables
>>and possibly $(MINIPERL)
>>
>The pseudo target (which I called make_unidatafiles) does already depend
>on ..\lib\unicore\mktables and $(MINIPERL) (and $(CONFIGPM) as well), so
>I'm still confused what's going on here.
>
>I'm now wodering if it is something to do with relative paths.

Ah - do the paths have '/' or '\' in them?
Try the other ...

Another possibility is that dmake's 'cd' isn't where it should be
for it to find the relative file.