develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from June 2004

Re: Smoke [5.9.2] 22881 FAIL(M) MSWin32 WinXP/.Net SP1 (x86/1 cpu)

From:
Steve Hay
Date:
June 4, 2004 01:14
Re: Smoke [5.9.2] 22881 FAIL(M) MSWin32 WinXP/.Net SP1 (x86/1 cpu)
Message ID:
40C0300F.8000702@uk.radan.com
Nick Ing-Simmons wrote:

>Steve Hay <steve.hay@uk.radan.com> writes:
>

>>Another joyful quirk of dmake, I guess.  The following makefile
>>reproduces the problem:
>>
>>FILE = ..\one.txt
>>all : $(FILE)
>>$(FILE) :
>>   cd .. && echo One>one.txt
>>
>>If I run "dmake ..\one.txt" from C:\Temp then C:\one.txt gets created,
>>but when I re-run the same command it runs the rule again, re-creating
>>C:\one.txt!  Needless to say nmake and GNU make both say ..\one.txt is
>>up-to-date.  I'm beginning to not like dmake very much.
>>

>This is another of those historical things. When there are no dependancies
>some makes run the rule. Easiest fix is not to lie to make - it must depend
>on something

OK, that might explain why running "dmake ..\one.txt" always runs the
rule (the ..\one.txt target has no dependencies, so the rule is always
run).  But it doesn't explain why running "dmake all" re-creates
..\one.txt every time: the 'all' target does have a dependency (namely,
..\one.txt), and that is up-to-date, so I wouldn't expect that
dependency to be made.

>(even if as in the pseudo example it is Makefile itself and
>cmd.exe or whatever does echo.
>
>In the UNIDATAFILES case then presumably they depend on mktables
>and possibly $(MINIPERL)

The pseudo target (which I called make_unidatafiles) does already depend
on ..\lib\unicore\mktables and $(MINIPERL) (and $(CONFIGPM) as well), so
I'm still confused what's going on here.

I'm now wodering if it is something to do with relative paths.  If I
change the example above to this:

FILE = one.txt
all : $(FILE)
$(FILE) :
    echo One>one.txt

then running "dmake all" does what I would expect -- it creates one.txt
if and only if it doesn't already exist.  (And, in fact, running "dmake
one.txt" says one.txt is up-to-date, so perhaps it doesn't mind that
one.txt has no dependents after all...)

What do I need to do to fix the relative-path example above, and,
indeed, Perl's win32/makefile.mk?

- Steve

Radan Computational Ltd.

The information contained in this message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended for the addressee(s) only.  If you have received this message in error or there are any problems, please notify the sender immediately.  The unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is strictly forbidden.  Note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Radan Computational Ltd.  The recipient(s) of this message should check it and any attached files for viruses: Radan Computational will accept no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.