22879: autogenerating Unicode data files

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
May 31, 2004 08:12
Subject:
22879: autogenerating Unicode data files
Message ID:
20040531151254.GX1147@plum.flirble.org
Patch 22879 ( http://public.activestate.com/cgi-bin/perlbrowse?patch=22879 )
builds on japhy's improvements to lib/unicore/mktables, and changes the build
process so that all the data files needed by the regexp engine are generated
by mktables at build time, rather than shipping with perl.

It saves about 1.6M on an unpacked clean source tree, but curiously only
makes a .tar.gz about 200K smaller, and tar.bz2 140K smaller, implying
that these files compress well. Build time is increased by far less than
the time taken to run t/uni.class.t

I've tested it on Unix and a VMS testdrive account, and it seems to work.
(modulo errors in my getting my typo corrections back from the VMS box).
I've patched win32/Makefile and win32/makefile.mk to make them also do the
new thing, but as I'm not able to test these there may be errors.

I'm not sure which other platforms run with prebuilt makefiles. WinCE?
Anyway, this change will have broken the build on them. Sorry to create
work for people.

Nicholas Clark