Re: variable names in uninit warnings for maint?

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
May 28, 2004 09:22
Re: variable names in uninit warnings for maint?
Message ID:
20040528112523.GR1147@plum.flirble.org
On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 02:34:13AM -0700, Gisle Aas wrote:
> Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> writes:
>
> > The disadvantage of PERL_5_10_ISH is that we then have to invent PERL_5_12_ISH
> > and so on.
> >
> >   use more 'future';
> >
> > So some sort of name that isn't version specific but does suggest sneak
> > preview beta would be my (current) preferred choice.
>
> I like this.  This is the same mechanism the Python guys invented as
> 'from __future__ import ...' [1].  I even think we could spell it 'use
> future qw/foo bar/'.
>
> Even if I like this mechanism I'm not really sure I like it in
> perl-5.8.  As time go by I think the 5.8 track should grow more and
> more conservative.  It should not end up experimenting with new
> features just because 5.10 fails to arrive.

There's a specific reason why I would like this new feature in a maintenance
release, independent of the timescale of 5.10. If 5.10 had shipped 12 months
ago I'd still want this:

Many organisations continue to run older versions of perl. For example, I
did some work for an organisation using 5.004_04 on its website servers.
The only sane way to develop for this target was to install and use 5.004_xx
on the development systems, rather than a later perl. The named
uninitialised variables are principally of use while developing (or
debugging), not while in production, hence saying "you need to upgrade to
5.10 to see this" is no use when your debugging system has to stay on 5.8.x
to closely emulate production.

(Sure your integration and staging systems have to stay on the identical
version to your production system, but your development system can have more
than one 5.8.x installed, and 5.8.5 to 5.8.3 is more likely to show the same
behaviour/long term bugs than 5.10.2 to 5.8.3)

Nicholas Clark