Re: variable names in uninit warnings for maint?

From:
Gisle Aas
Date:
May 25, 2004 02:34
Re: variable names in uninit warnings for maint?
Message ID:
lrsmdo6eay.fsf@caliper.activestate.com
Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> writes:

> The disadvantage of PERL_5_10_ISH is that we then have to invent PERL_5_12_ISH
> and so on.
>
>   use more 'future';
>
> So some sort of name that isn't version specific but does suggest sneak
> preview beta would be my (current) preferred choice.

I like this.  This is the same mechanism the Python guys invented as
'from __future__ import ...' [1].  I even think we could spell it 'use
future qw/foo bar/'.

Even if I like this mechanism I'm not really sure I like it in
perl-5.8.  As time go by I think the 5.8 track should grow more and
more conservative.  It should not end up experimenting with new
features just because 5.10 fails to arrive.

Regards,
Gisle

[1] http://python.binarycompass.org/peps/pep-0236.html