Re: variable names in uninit warnings for maint?

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
May 25, 2004 01:58
Re: variable names in uninit warnings for maint?
Message ID:
20040525085818.GS1147@plum.flirble.org
On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 12:45:32AM +0100, Dave Mitchell wrote:
> On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 05:19:41PM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:

> One final Cassanda-ism - the uninit warnings code is still bound
> to tuen up some false positives - eg printing the wrong variable name.
> These will gradually be ironed out over time, but it needs time...

And beta testing. I'm happy enough to have this not-the-default and
not-quite-obvious, as it will take some degree of clue to enable this
feature. It's probably better to have the moderately clueful trying this
out now, knowing that it may be wrong, and giving it more exposure, than
having the great unwashed hit it in a release 5.10.

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 10:41:47AM +0200, Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:
> Quoting Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com>:
>
> > On Mon, May 24, 2004 at 05:19:41PM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:

> > This also needs to be somethiong that makes it clear that it's a temporary
> > expedient for 5.8.x only and that it's on in 5.10.x automatically;

> I'd rather have an option globally settable, non-intrusive,
> forward-compatible; with a clear note, "this will be the default
> in 5.10 and onwards". I think yet another environment variable
> can do. PERL_5_10_ISH for example. Detailed warnings will be
> wanted by developers, so they could set this variable while they
> are debugging, and leave it off in production. The main
> advantage of this approach is that it will not be necessary
> to modify the code to get the detailed warnings.

The disadvantage of PERL_5_10_ISH is that we then have to invent PERL_5_12_ISH
and so on.

  use more 'future';

So some sort of name that isn't version specific but does suggest sneak
preview beta would be my (current) preferred choice.

Nicholas Clark