Re: FileCache 1.03 (as per 5.8.3) breaks system()

From:
Alan Burlison
Date:
May 24, 2004 13:05
Re: FileCache 1.03 (as per 5.8.3) breaks system()
Message ID:
40B2297A.1060007@sun.com
Jerrad Pierce wrote:

> Actually no, it sets them for that *block*. So say for instance you use an
> open |cmd, the child process will have inherited those signal handler
> settings. If you try testing a little you'll see these lines make all the
> difference in preventing zombies.

Yes the child process will inherit them, but something like /bin/sh will
immediately change the signal dispositions anyway, so I'm not at all
sure what you think this is going to achieve.  It *might* help
FileCache'd pipe-opens of broken programs that don't set their signal
dispositions and don't reap children properly, but I'm far from clear
why FileCache is trying to fix this problem when a vanilla perl piped
open doesn't.

--
Alan Burlison