Re: "|" in debugger hangs with less (compile time issue?)

From:
Richard.Foley
Date:
May 11, 2004 09:40
Re: "|" in debugger hangs with less (compile time issue?)
Message ID:
200405111833.23182.richard.foley@rfi.net
If I use '| x \%INC' in the debugger, as chip pointed out, it hangs for me
too.  I'm not sure it's identical, but the same thing happens to me, and I've
included here an 'strace' output for the offending process (full trace
attached), on the off chance it makes more sense to someone else, than it
does to me.

	rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, [INT], [RTMIN], 8) = 0
	ioctl(4, TIOCGWINSZ, {ws_row=22, ws_col=125, ws_xpixel=0, ws_ypixel=0}) = 0
	ioctl(4, TIOCSWINSZ, {ws_row=22, ws_col=125, ws_xpixel=0, ws_ypixel=0}) = 0
	ioctl(4, SNDCTL_TMR_TIMEBASE, {B38400 opost isig icanon echo ...}) = 0
	ioctl(4, SNDCTL_TMR_STOP, {B38400 opost isig -icanon -echo ...}) = 0
	--- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
	Process 2904 detached

BTW, this doesn't happen for me in any of the following installs (of my own):

	5.00504, 5.6.2, 5.8.0, 5.8.2, 5.8.4

BUT, it does happen to me on 5.8.1 (which I believe was installed via my SuSe
installation).  At first I thought this might be an 'odd-version(devel)'
issue, but closer inspection makes me think it's a compile time option.

In the several installs which fail (including Chips), the following
compile-time options are all set, which may of course be red herrings:

	MULTIPLICITY USE_ITHREADS PERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT

Of the several things, which may also be red herrings, but which also happen
to be constant across versions which fail and versions which succeed are the
following (from perl -V):

success:
	cccdlflags='-fpic'
	useshrplib=false
	libperl=libperl.a

failure:
	cccdlflags='-fPIC'
	useshrplib=true
	libperl=libperl.so...

I'm disinclined to believe its related to the perl5db.pl file itself, because
I can use a different debugger dynamically via PERL5DB=..., and the effect
remains constant based on the actual perl I'm using, not on the debugger
library version.

I don't know if that helps anyone else look into this.  But not being able to
pipe the output of a command through a pager in the debugger is a real pain
in the ****!

Ciao
Richard Foley
---
Ciao - Shorter than Aufwiedersehen

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perldebugpr/index.html

On Thursday 04 March 2004 14:18, Chip Salzenberg wrote:
> oct 25 10:11:37 est 2003 i686 gnulinux ' config_args='-Dusethreads
> -Duselargefiles -Dccflags=-DDEBIAN -Dcccdlflags=-fPIC -Darchname=i386-linux
<snip - mostly man dirs>
> -Uafs -Ud_csh -Uusesfio -Uusenm -Duseshrplib -Dlibperl=libperl.so.5.8.3
-Dd_dosuid'
<snip>