[perl #29434] problem in compiling perl5.6.1 using gcc compiler on aix 5.2

From:
bheemarao
Date:
May 8, 2004 03:49
Subject:
[perl #29434] problem in compiling perl5.6.1 using gcc compiler on aix 5.2
Message ID:
rt-3.0.9-29434-87032.15.4431600695879@perl.org
# New Ticket Created by  bheemarao
# Please include the string:  [perl #29434]

Hi,

    I had problem in compiling the perl 5.6.1 source code on AIX 5.2
using gcc 3.2.1 compiler.

   steps that I followed are:
    1. installed the gcc3.2.1 on AIX5.2
    2. Downloaded and extracted the perl5.6.1.tar.gz from cpan.
    3. executed the below command :
        sh Configure -Dcc=gcc -Doptimize='-O2' -Uuselargefiles
-Duserperlio \  -Uusesfio -Dcccdlflags='none' -des
    its given the below output.

mkdtemp() NOT found.
mkfifo() found.
mkstemp() found.
mkstemps() NOT found.
mktime() found.
<sys/mman.h> found.
mmap() NOT found.
modfl() found.
mprotect() NOT found.
msgctl() NOT found.
msgget() NOT found.
msgsnd() found.
msgrcv() found.
You don't have the full msg*(2) library.
msync() NOT found.
munmap() NOT found.
nice() found.
Checking which 64-bit integer type we could use...
We could use 'long long' for 64-bit integers.
Checking to see how big your characters are (hey, you never know)...
What is the size of a character (in bytes)? [1]
Checking to see if your C compiler knows about "volatile"...
Choosing the C types to be used for Perl's internal types...
Checking how many bits of your UVs your NVs can preserve...
Checking to see if you have off64_t...
<pthread.h> found.
pause() found.
pipe() NOT found.
poll() found.
<pwd.h> found.
readdir() found.
seekdir() found.
telldir() found.
rewinddir() found.
readlink() NOT found.
rename() NOT found.
rmdir() NOT found.
<memory.h> found.
Checking to see if your bcopy() can do overlapping copies...
Checking to see if your memcpy() can do overlapping copies...
Checking if your memcmp() can compare relative magnitude...
select() found.
semctl() NOT found.
semget() NOT found.
semop() found.
You don't have the full sem*(2) library.
You do not have union semun in <sys/sem.h>.
setegid() found.
seteuid() NOT found.
setgrent() found.
sethostent() found.
setlinebuf() found.
setlocale() found.
setnetent() found.
setprotoent() found.
setpgid() found.
setpgrp2() NOT found.
setpriority() found.
setproctitle() NOT found.
setpwent() found.
setregid() found.
*** WHOA THERE!!! ***
    The recommended value for $d_setregid on this machine was "undef"!
    Keep the recommended value? [y]
setresgid() NOT found.
setreuid() NOT found.
setresuid() NOT found.
setrgid() found.
*** WHOA THERE!!! ***
    The recommended value for $d_setrgid on this machine was "undef"!
    Keep the recommended value? [y]
setruid() found.
*** WHOA THERE!!! ***
    The recommended value for $d_setruid on this machine was "undef"!
    Keep the recommended value? [y]
setservent() found.
setsid() found.
setvbuf() found.
<sfio.h> NOT found.
libs = -lbind -lnsl -ldbm -ldl -lld -lm -lc -lcrypt -lbsd -lPW -liconv
shmctl() NOT found.
shmget() NOT found.
shmat() NOT found.
shmdt() NOT found.
You don't have the full shm*(2) library.
sigaction() found.
POSIX sigsetjmp found.
socks5_init() found.
<sys/stat.h> found.
Checking to see if your struct stat has st_blocks field...
<sys/vfs.h> found.
<sys/statfs.h> found.
Checking to see if your system supports struct statfs...
Checking to see if your struct statfs has f_flags field...
Checking how std your stdio is...
Checking to see what happens if we set the stdio ptr...
Increasing ptr in your stdio leaves cnt unchanged.  Good.
Checking how to access stdio streams by file descriptor number...
You can access stdio streams by file descriptor number by the _iob
array.
strcoll() found.
Checking to see if your C compiler can copy structs...
strerror() found.
strtod() found.
strtol() found.
strtold() found.
strtoll() found.
strtoul() found.
strtoull() found.
strtouq() NOT found.
strxfrm() found.
symlink() NOT found.
syscall() NOT found.
sysconf() found.
system() found.
tcgetpgrp() found.
tcsetpgrp() found.
<sys/times.h> found.
times() NOT found, hope that will do.
truncate() NOT found.
tzname[] found.
umask() NOT found.
ustat() NOT found.
vfork() found.
Do you still want to use vfork()? [n]
<sys/dir.h> found.
<sys/ndir.h> NOT found.
closedir() found.
Checking whether closedir() returns a status...
wait4() found.
waitpid() found.
wcstombs() found.
wctomb() found.
Doubles must be aligned on a how-many-byte boundary? [8]
Checking to see how your cpp does stuff like catenate tokens...
Oh!  Smells like ANSI's been here.
<db.h> NOT found.
Checking to see how well your C compiler groks the void type...
Good.  It appears to support void to the level perl5 wants.
Looking for a random number function...
Good, found drand48().
Use which function to generate random numbers? [drand48]
Determining whether or not we are on an EBCDIC system...
Nope, no EBCDIC, probably ASCII or some ISO Latin. Or UTF8.
Checking how to flush all pending stdio output...
Your fflush(NULL) works okay for output streams.
Let's see if it clobbers input pipes...
fflush(NULL) seems to behave okay with input streams.
Checking the size of gid_t...
Checking the sign of gid_t...
Checking how to print 64-bit integers...
Checking the format strings to be used for Perl's internal types...
Checking the format string to be used for gids...
getgroups() NOT found.
setgroups() NOT found.
Checking if your /usr/bin/make program sets $(MAKE)...
mode_t found.
size_t found.
What pager is used on your system? [/usr/bin/more]
pid_t found.
Checking to see how big your pointers are...
Checking how to generate random libraries on your machine...
Your select() operates on 1 bit at a time.
Generating a list of signal names and numbers...
Checking the size of size_t...
Checking to see if you have socklen_t...
<socks.h> NOT found.
I'll be using ssize_t for functions returning a byte count.
Your stdio uses unsigned chars.
time() found.
time_t found.
Checking the size of uid_t...
Checking the sign of uid_t...
Checking the format string to be used for uids...
Which compiler compiler (yacc) shall I use? [yacc]
dbmclose() found.
<dbm.h> found.
<sys/file.h> found.
We'll be including <sys/file.h>.
<fcntl.h> found.
We don't need to include <fcntl.h> if we include <sys/file.h>.
<iconv.h> found.
<ieeefp.h> NOT found.
<libutil.h> NOT found.
<locale.h> found.
<math.h> found.
<mntent.h> found.
<ndbm.h> found.
dbm_open() found.
<net/errno.h> NOT found.
<netinet/tcp.h> found.
<poll.h> found.
<prot.h> NOT found.
Guessing which symbols your C compiler and preprocessor define...
tcsetattr() found.
You have POSIX termios.h... good!
<shadow.h> NOT found.
<stdarg.h> found.
<varargs.h> found.
We'll include <stdarg.h> to get va_dcl definition.
<stddef.h> found.
<sunmath.h> NOT found.
<sys/access.h> found.
<sys/filio.h> NOT found.
<sys/ioctl.h> found.
<syslog.h> found.
<sys/mode.h> found.
<sys/resource.h> found.
<sys/security.h> NOT found.
<sys/statvfs.h> found.
<sys/uio.h> found.
<sys/un.h> found.
<sys/utsname.h> found.
<sys/wait.h> found.
<ustat.h> found.
<utime.h> found.
<values.h> found.
<gdbm.h> NOT found.
Looking for extensions...
What extensions do you wish to load dynamically?
[B ByteLoader Data/Dumper Devel/DProf Devel/Peek Fcntl File/Glob IO
NDBM_File OD
BM_File Opcode POSIX SDBM_File Sys/Hostname attrs re]
What extensions do you wish to load statically? [none]
Stripping down executable paths...
Creating config.sh...
Doing variable substitutions on .SH files...
Extracting Makefile (with variable substitutions)
Extracting Policy.sh (with variable substitutions)
Extracting cflags (with variable substitutions)
Extracting config.h (with variable substitutions)
Extracting makeaperl (with variable substitutions)
Extracting makedepend (with variable substitutions)
Extracting makedir (with variable substitutions)
Extracting myconfig (with variable substitutions)
Extracting pod/Makefile (with variable substitutions)
Extracting writemain (with variable substitutions)
Extracting x2p/Makefile (with variable substitutions)
Extracting x2p/cflags (with variable substitutions)
Run make depend now? [y]
        sh ./makedepend MAKE=make
        sh writemain lib/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a  > writemain.tmp
        sh mv-if-diff writemain.tmp perlmain.c
        echo  av.c scope.c op.c doop.c doio.c dump.c hv.c mg.c perl.c
perly.c pp
.c pp_hot.c pp_ctl.c pp_sys.c regcomp.c regexec.c utf8.c gv.c sv.c
taint.c toke.
c util.c deb.c run.c universal.c xsutils.c globals.c perlio.c perlapi.c
miniperl
main.c perlmain.c | tr ' ' '\n' >.clist
Finding dependencies for av.o.
Finding dependencies for scope.o.
Finding dependencies for op.o.
Finding dependencies for doop.o.
Finding dependencies for doio.o.
Finding dependencies for dump.o.
Finding dependencies for hv.o.
Finding dependencies for mg.o.
Finding dependencies for perl.o.
Finding dependencies for perly.o.
Finding dependencies for pp.o.
Finding dependencies for pp_hot.o.
Finding dependencies for pp_ctl.o.
Finding dependencies for pp_sys.o.
Finding dependencies for regcomp.o.
Finding dependencies for regexec.o.
Finding dependencies for utf8.o.
Finding dependencies for gv.o.
Finding dependencies for sv.o.
Finding dependencies for taint.o.
Finding dependencies for toke.o.
Finding dependencies for util.o.
Finding dependencies for deb.o.
Finding dependencies for run.o.
Finding dependencies for universal.o.
Finding dependencies for xsutils.o.
Finding dependencies for globals.o.
Finding dependencies for perlio.o.
Finding dependencies for perlapi.o.
Finding dependencies for miniperlmain.o.
Finding dependencies for perlmain.o.
        echo Makefile.SH cflags.SH config_h.SH makeaperl.SH
makedepend.SH  maked
ir.SH myconfig.SH writemain.SH pod/Makefile.SH | tr ' ' '\n' >.shlist
Updating makefile...
         test -s perlmain.c && touch perlmain.c
        cd x2p; make depend
        sh ../makedepend MAKE=make
        echo hash.c  str.c util.c walk.c | tr ' ' '\n' >.clist
Finding dependencies for hash.o.
Finding dependencies for str.o.
Finding dependencies for util.o.
Finding dependencies for walk.o.
        echo Makefile.SH cflags.SH | tr ' ' '\n' >.shlist
Updating makefile...
Now you must run 'make'.

If you compile perl5 on a different machine or from a different object
directory, copy the Policy.sh file from this object directory to the
new one before you run Configure -- this will help you with most of
the policy defaults.

# make
make: 1254-002 Cannot find a rule to create target <built-in> from
dependencies.
Stop.

I am not able to run the make command successfully.

Can you please provide me what is going wrong....

Thanks,
Bheema.