develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2004

Re: CPAN-newer-than-release for 5.8.4 RC1 (was Re: 5.8.4 RC1)

From:
Rafael Garcia-Suarez
Date:
April 7, 2004 06:12
Re: CPAN-newer-than-release for 5.8.4 RC1 (was Re: 5.8.4 RC1)
Message ID:
20040407151013.015e013a@valis.local
Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Nicholas> Actually, that's also why I'm making no great effort to
> Nicholas> remind anyone of the code freeze dates. Suggesting that
> Nicholas> these dates are deadlines to get things done by will
> Nicholas> encourage bursts of change close to release.
>
> This would suggest that I should simply adopt a policy to download
> bleadperl about once a week, put it on my system, and see what CPAN
> modules are out of sync, and announce it every time I notice it.
>
> If that's OK with everyone (I got pushback before), I'll be happy
> to start doing this again.

FWIW there's a script in bleadperl, Porting/corecpan.pl, that does
this check -- in both ways (it also reports modules that are
newer in the core than on the CPAN.)

The fact that a module is newer on the CPAN doesn't mean that it should
be upgraded immediately, though. Filter::Simple and I18N::LangTags
fail some tests when integrated in blead. I haven't had time to
investigate these though.