develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2004

Re: CPAN-newer-than-release for 5.8.4 RC1 (was Re: 5.8.4 RC1)

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
April 7, 2004 04:06
Re: CPAN-newer-than-release for 5.8.4 RC1 (was Re: 5.8.4 RC1)
Message ID:
20040407110605.GD701@plum.flirble.org
On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 10:39:05AM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:

> minor, stable things can go in. In turn, the policy of time based releases
> is specifically designed to prevent the mad rush of patching that used to
> happen just before a stable release - a mad rush of patching being the least
> conducive thing to code stability.

Actually, that's also why I'm making no great effort to remind anyone of
the code freeze dates. Suggesting that these dates are deadlines to get
things done by will encourage bursts of change close to release. Not making
any big deal of the times close to release should encourage change to be
spread more evenly over time. Avoiding clustering of changes makes it
easier to locate the cause of any problems, given that the machines running
smoke tests always start new smokes at the same rate (of time) independent of
the rate (of change).

The underlying driver of all this is that I'm trying to achieve as much
decoupling as possible between development (bug fixing and improvements)
from releasing.

Nicholas Clark