develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2004

Re: CPAN-newer-than-release for 5.8.4 RC1 (was Re: 5.8.4 RC1)

From:
H.Merijn Brand
Date:
April 7, 2004 03:57
Re: CPAN-newer-than-release for 5.8.4 RC1 (was Re: 5.8.4 RC1)
Message ID:
20040407125217.8844.H.M.BRAND@hccnet.nl
On Wed 07 Apr 2004 12:49, merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) wrote:

> Nicholas> I realise that it looks somewhat silly if perl ships with
> Nicholas> modules that are slightly out of date. But it looks stupid
> Nicholas> if perl ships with modules that are broken, and it's highly
> Nicholas> visible if a new "stable" release comes alone shortly after
> Nicholas> to fix them, advertising the very cock up we'd rather the
> Nicholas> public didn't notice.
>
> I can support your decision.  However, as an additional data point, I
> installed the versions in question the day they were CPANed, and used
> them against bleadperl as it was continually updated.
>
> We really need a better mechanism to prevent what just happened though.
>
> Pumpkings should have on their checklist:
>
>         [ ] Two weeks before RC1, fold in all out-of-date CPAN modules
>
> Or something.  Can we add that to FAQ somewhere? (half smiley)
>
> Please, I respect you as a volunteer.  I'm only being an advocate
> for the masses who will install this update, only to have to reinstall
> a half dozen pieces of core immediately.  Like I kept doing on every
> bleadperl.  :)

And the masses (and maybe you too) are still used to the old release cycles
Nick has chosen to do a quarterly release, which should be more than enough to
give time for module updates to go through blead and backport/integrate to
maint. If someone is eager to have the most recent, either fetch from CPAN, or
wait 3 month to get it in the next.

I still think it is a very sane strategy that Nick is following, and the blead
committers could be more vivid in updating dual-life modules to core than we
currently do, but we also need signals.

So now that *you* know what the release cycle is, maybe signal p5p every 2
month with your (very good) list of out-of-sync modules, and /we/ (p5p
committers) integrate them to blead, after which Nick integrates them to maint

deal?

--
H.Merijn Brand        Amsterdam Perl Mongers (http://amsterdam.pm.org/)
using perl-5.6.1, 5.8.3, & 5.9.x, and 806 on  HP-UX 10.20 & 11.00, 11i,