develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2004

Re: CPAN-newer-than-release for 5.8.4 RC1 (was Re: 5.8.4 RC1)

From:
merlyn
Date:
April 7, 2004 03:49
Re: CPAN-newer-than-release for 5.8.4 RC1 (was Re: 5.8.4 RC1)
Message ID:
86isgcvza0.fsf@blue.stonehenge.com

Nicholas> I realise that it looks somewhat silly if perl ships with
Nicholas> modules that are slightly out of date. But it looks stupid
Nicholas> if perl ships with modules that are broken, and it's highly
Nicholas> visible if a new "stable" release comes alone shortly after
Nicholas> to fix them, advertising the very cock up we'd rather the
Nicholas> public didn't notice.

I can support your decision.  However, as an additional data point, I
installed the versions in question the day they were CPANed, and used
them against bleadperl as it was continually updated.

We really need a better mechanism to prevent what just happened though.

Pumpkings should have on their checklist:

        [ ] Two weeks before RC1, fold in all out-of-date CPAN modules

Or something.  Can we add that to FAQ somewhere? (half smiley)

Please, I respect you as a volunteer.  I'm only being an advocate
for the masses who will install this update, only to have to reinstall
a half dozen pieces of core immediately.  Like I kept doing on every
bleadperl.  :)