develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from April 2004

Re: 5.8.4 RC1

From:
Greg Matheson
Date:
April 5, 2004 18:57
Re: 5.8.4 RC1
Message ID:
20040406102501.A27675@ms.chinmin.edu.tw
On Mon, 05 Apr 2004, Nicholas Clark wrote:

> I'm interested in confirmation of binary compatibility between 5.8.4 and
> modules compiled under previous 5.8.x releases, and anything which is a new
> bug in 5.8.4, particularly if it breaks current modules on CPAN.
>
>   rsync ftp.linux.activestate.com::perl-5.8.x/
>
> will be at RC1 for the next day or so.

Although perl-5.8.x built yesterday I swear,
perl-5.8.4-RC1 doesn't build today.
On Win98, with MinGW-3.1.0.

It hung after building miniperl and as it started making Encode
Running Makefile.PL in Encode
C:\CYGWIN\HOME\GREG\PERL-5~1.4-R\MINIPERL.EXE -IC:\cygwin\home\greg\perl-5.8.4-RC1\win32\..\lib Makefile.PL INSTALLDIRS=perl PERL_CORE=1
Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for Encode::Byte
Writing Makefile for Encode::CN
Writing Makefile for Encode::EBCDIC
Writing Makefile for Encode::JP
Writing Makefile for Encode::KR
Writing Makefile for Encode::Symbol
Writing Makefile for Encode::TW
Writing Makefile for Encode::Unicode
Writing Makefile for Encode
Making Encode
C:\M\BIN\DMAKE.EXE -S

[perl-5.8.x just hung now, when I tried building it, patch 22650.]

I believe this is the same problem of long command lines
with MakeMaker on Win98 that I mention here:
and
http://www.mail-archive.com/makemaker@perl.org/msg01364.html

These changes made it into ExtUtils-MakeMaker-6.21_3, but not
perl-5.8.4-RC1.

Perhaps the perldelta section:

> =head1 Installation and Configuration Improvements

> The build process on both VMS and Windows has had several minor improvements
> made. Perl should now build on Windows 95. C<perl.exe> on Windows now has a
> "Camel" logo icon. The use of a camel with Perl is a trademark of O'Reilly
> and Associates, and is used in the Perl core distribution with their

should say:
	Perl should now build on Windows 95 with a few tweaks.

--
Greg Matheson, Taiwan