develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2004

Re: op_seq (was: Freeing code)

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
February 27, 2004 06:46
Re: op_seq (was: Freeing code)
Message ID:
20040227144545.GL46380@plum.flirble.org
On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 05:26:17PM -0800, Stephen McCamant wrote:

> NC> Which confuses me because then you report:

> Eh? It looks to me like this change will save 4 bytes per OP on
> platforms where OPs are 4-byte-aligned, by reducing BASEOP from 24
> bytes to 20. Assuming 32 bit pointers, this changes BASEOP from

I know now where my confusion came from. I saw a patch hunk adding U8s
which was actually functions (or macros) to access the structure.
The struct itself (and its changes) were in a patch hunk mutch later on.

Any reason not to convert all the op_flags and op_private elements to
bitfields in a struct, and remove a lot of anding with OPf_REF etc

Mmm. It looks like op_private is too overloaded for this to be useful.

Nicholas Clark