develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from February 2004

[perl #26785] mem leak in split

From:
Ohlman, Jeff
Date:
February 18, 2004 15:47
Subject:
[perl #26785] mem leak in split
Message ID:
rt-3.0.8-26785-78330.8.14483724410472@perl.org
# New Ticket Created by  "Ohlman, Jeff"
# Please include the string:  [perl #26785]

This is a bug report for perl from jeff.ohlman@bellsouth.com,
generated with the help of perlbug 1.33 running under perl v5.6.1.

I am trying to split a record twice - the 2nd split takes an element of the first split and splits it again.  Trying to assign the results of the 2nd split to another array causes the OS to produce:

Out of memory during request for 1008 bytes, total sbrk() is 64858324 bytes!

I've reduced the program to the bare min in order to reproduce the error.  This is the offending code:

perl -ne 'chomp;@x=split(/< /,$_);@r=split(/~/,$x[1]);'">!@ <mailto:!@> >/,$_);@r=split(/~/,$x[1]);' reallybigfile.dat

The work around is:

perl -ne 'chomp;@x=split(/< /,$_);($a">!@ <mailto:!@> >/,$_);($a, $b, $c, $d, $e) =split(/~/,$x[1]);' reallybigfile.dat

Here are 2 typical records:

00040000000~BUBBAS BEER~~~A~~~~~~N~< BILLING">!@ <mailto:!@> >BILLING~~~~~<!@>
00000443000~FOOBAR BROTHERS~~~A~~~~~~N~< BILLING~~~~~ <mailto:!@> TYPE1">!@>BILLING~~~~~<!@>TYPE1

The data file is 900 mb, but the out of mem occurs after about 300 mb.

We have ActiveState  perl, v5.6.1 built for 3446-svr4
Our Unix box is NCR System V R4 V3 3446 Pentium Pro(TM)-EISA/PCI
---
Flags:
    category=core
    severity=medium

*****
"The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers."  113