develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from January 2004

RE: Windows users, please do not open attachments

From:
Horsley Tom
Date:
January 27, 2004 04:56
RE: Windows users, please do not open attachments
Message ID:
F5573A841216B94CB3CD1A7A0A1FD35612E72F@exchange.ccur.com
> This is the second time in two weeks that a virus has hit
> this list. If
> you use Windows and are subscribed to this list please use antivirus
> software and do NOT open attachments even if it /seems/ to come from
> someone you know.

A perfect time to campaign for people to post messages in good old
stick-in-the-mud plain text in the first place.

For years I have seen occasional (apparently) legitimate messages
in this group that show up in my mail reader looking almost
exactly like the silly virus, claiming they are in a "characterset not
supported by my mail reader".

Curiously, when the subject line has indicated it might be interesting,
I've saved the attachment to a file and opened in in emacs, and
it has always looked exactly like it was plain text anyway, so I don't
have any idea what in the blue blazes a "characterset not supportec
by my mail reader is" (or how the hell to convince outlook
to support a new characterset :-).