develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2003

Re: [cpan #4792] Encode::MIME::Header breaks RFC822 word and wrapping rules

From:
Dan Kogai
Date:
December 31, 2003 04:33
Re: [cpan #4792] Encode::MIME::Header breaks RFC822 word and wrapping rules
Message ID:
772A084E-3B8D-11D8-AF93-000A95DBB50A@dan.co.jp
On Dec 31, 2003, at 05:02, Nick Ing-Simmons via RT wrote:
> Which reminds me.
>
> Encode::MIME::Header's encode methods have a number
> of snags - at least as I was using them. As I remember the issue
> it has to do with line-wrapping and what is considered a "word".
> RFC2047 uses RFC822 definitions of word/atom etc. and there are
> some complicated rules.
>
> I am growing my own RFC2047 encode routines for now (to understand
> all the rules). But it would be nice to merge them back into
> Encode::MIME::Header someday.

Please.  I also consider Encode::MIME::Header clumsy.  IMHO RFC2047 is
even more so :)  One of the reasons Encode::MIME::Header is not so
elegant is that RFC2047 is a double-encoding, which does not suit well
on Encode APIs.  For instance, encode("MIME-Header") always uses UTF-8
for its "primary" encoding (though it accepts all other encodings that
Encode can grok when decoding).  Of course it's possible to implement
encode("MIME-Header-utf8") and such but I don't want to tweak Encode
"core" just for the sake of MIME Header....

Anyway, codes are always welcome.

Dan the Encode Maintainer