develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2003

maintperl@22000 status on VMS

From:
Craig A. Berry
Date:
December 30, 2003 11:49
Subject:
maintperl@22000 status on VMS
Message ID:
p06020403bc176fb12538@[172.16.52.1]
With maintperl@22000 using Compaq C V6.5-001 on OpenVMS Alpha V7.3-1,
I see the following failures (with bug tracking info included where
available):

lib/ExtUtils/t/Constant..............FAILED at test 27

http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bug.html?id=4687

lib/ExtUtils/t/INST_PREFIX...........FAILED at test 41

no ticket #, but see

http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.vmsperl/12215

lib/Test/Harness/t/callback..........FAILED at test 17
lib/Test/Harness/t/inc_taint.........FAILED at test 1
lib/Test/Harness/t/strap-analyze.....FAILED at test 93
lib/Test/Harness/t/test-harness......FAILED at test 164

http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bug.html?id=4745

lib/vmsish...........................FAILED at test 25
Failed 7 test scripts out of 781, 99.10% okay.

This is a genuine bug in using stat() while the "vmsish 'time'"
pragma is in effect.

Other serious issues include:

MakeMaker recompiles and reliinks all the extensions when making the
test target (for reasons different from those that caused similar
behavior recently on other platforms).  See

http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bug.html?id=4675

Extension building dies on older VMS systems because of portability
issues with chmod on a directory.  See:

http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bug.html?id=4676

On VAX, the basic test num.t fails because test #47 assumes a greater
floating point range than is available by default.  See

http://www.nntp.perl.org/group/perl.perl5.porters/86742

The MakeMaker issues are probably the most serious ones and are all
new since 5.8.2.  Patches for most of them exist in some form, either
in the rt queue or in vmsperl discussions.  I'm a bit confused about
what I should do given the code freeze deadline, holiday schedules,
and Nick's understandable reluctance to integrate new things from
CPAN at the last minute.  I guess I'll take a stab at throwing
together a consolidated VMS-only patch today and see what happens.
Craig A. Berry
mailto:craigberry@mac.com

 difficult than getting in."
                 Brad Leithauser