develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2003

Re: perl @ 21830

From:
Steve Hay
Date:
December 3, 2003 01:58
Re: perl @ 21830
Message ID:
3FCDB41C.8020602@uk.radan.com
Nicholas Clark wrote:

>Only 31 patching days until Christmas^W 5.8.3
>
>Maint snapshot now available. As usual the bz2 is smaller:
>
>  http://www.ccl4.org/~nick/P/perl-21830.tar.bz2
>  http://www.ccl4.org/~nick/P/perl-21830.tar.gz
>
>Is there still need for rsync-able maint snapshots, given the availability
>of up to the (5) minute rsync access to the repository

I think the snapshots are still useful.  rsync is fine for updating to
the latest and greatest, but I find the snapshots are the easiest way to
return to an earlier stable(ish) version when hunting for where
something broke.

Thanks for remembering to use 'perl-21830' rather than 'perl@21830' in
the directory path too!

Now the bad news:  This snapshot doesn't build on WinXP/MSVC++ 6, which
explains the recent failures in my overnight smokes.  Running "nmake"
from within the win32/ subdir as usual gets down to making the B module
and then does this:

=====
Running Makefile.PL in B
C:\Temp\perl-21830\win32\..\miniperl.exe
-IC:\Temp\perl-21830\win32\..\lib Makefile.PL INSTALLDIRS=perl PERL_CORE=1
Writing Makefile for B::C
Writing Makefile for B
Making B
nmake -nologo
Warning: ..\..\lib\CORE/config.h out of date with ..\../config.sh; false
Makefile out-of-date with respect to ..\..\lib\CORE\config.h
Cleaning current config before rebuilding Makefile...
        nmake -f Makefile.old clean > NUL || rem

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility   Version 6.00.8168.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1988-1998. All rights reserved.

'..\..\miniperl.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external
command, operable program or batch file.
        ..\..\miniperl.exe "-I..\..\lib" "-I..\..\lib" Makefile.PL
"INSTALLDIRS=perl" "PERL_CORE=1"
Writing Makefile for B::C
Writing Makefile for B
==> Your Makefile has been rebuilt. <==
==> Please rerun the make command.  <==
        false
'false' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
program or batch file.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'false' : return code '0x1'
Stop.
Unsuccessful make(B): code=512 at buildext.pl line 98.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: '..\miniperl.exe' : return code '0x2'
Stop.
=====

I can't figure out what's going on there.  Any ideas?

- Steve

Radan Computational Ltd.

The information contained in this message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended for the addressee(s) only.  If you have received this message in error or there are any problems, please notify the sender immediately.  The unauthorized use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message is strictly forbidden.  Note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Radan Computational Ltd.  The recipient(s) of this message should check it and any attached files for viruses: Radan Computational will accept no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.