develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2003

Re: Poor State of the Man Pages

From:
hv
Date:
December 2, 2003 14:36
Re: Poor State of the Man Pages
Message ID:
200312022240.hB2MeEn09993@zen.crypt.org
Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams@wiw.org> wrote:
:At 2003-12-01 17:50:32 -0600, whatever@davidnicol.com wrote:
:>
:> This operation was termed "translation" by some whimsical software
:> engineer deep in the mists of long-ago, due to the functional
:> similarity between the operation of tr(1) and the activity of
:> translating language by looking up words in a bilinugal dictionary.
:
:Er, did you mean to say transliterate instead of translate? If so, then
:the rest of your message makes no sense, because there is no similarity
:between the operation of tr(1) and looking up words in a dictionary. [...]

Though I enjoy such perilinguistic nitpickery in its place (and am itching
to write the rebuttal), I'm not convinced this is it (though, in this
context, I'm not sure what is). Perhaps taking it to direct mail would
be better.

Hugo