develooper Front page | perl.perl5.porters | Postings from December 2003

Re: Poor State of the Man Pages

From:
Mark Jason Dominus
Date:
December 1, 2003 05:39
Re: Poor State of the Man Pages
Message ID:
20031201134035.24244.qmail@plover.com

I don't know if this will be interesting,
but here's a note I've had in my PROJECTS file for several years:

        Make a permuted index for the Camel book.  Ask everyone on
        clpm and p5p to open the book at random, enter a one-sentence
        desription of something on the page, and mail it to me with a
        page number.  If they send

                Mapping from parentheses to backreference variables in regex match

        then make entries for

                backreference variables in regex match, Mapping from parentheses to
                Mapping from parentheses to backreference variables in regex match
                match, Mapping from parentheses to backreference variables in regex
                parentheses to backreference variables in regex match, Mapping from
                regex match, Mapping from parentheses to backreference variables in
                variables in regex match, Mapping from parentheses to backreference

        If a hundred people do this, it might be useful.  Then again
        maybe not---but it's worth a try.

        20030907

        Get O'Reilly to give you an online copy of the Camel book.
        Display a random page, and have the web user fill in a form
        with the description.  That way you can (a) control the
        randomization; (b) ensure that there's no duplication of
        effort, and (c) collate the index automatically.

I didn't mention it in the note, but I should probably point out that
displaying a single random page of a book is not going to give people
an opportunity to steal the book.