[perl #24548] Problem with PERL-5.8.2 and GMP-4.1.2

From:
I. Thomas Cundiff
Date:
November 29, 2003 00:19
Subject:
[perl #24548] Problem with PERL-5.8.2 and GMP-4.1.2
Message ID:
rt-24548-67792.12.6913196270797@rt.perl.org
# New Ticket Created by  "I. Thomas Cundiff"
# Please include the string:  [perl #24548]

Last Monday I upgraded from Perl 5.6.0 to 5.8.2.  As far as I could
tell, everything went okay.  So I tried the GMP program sample.pl, and
now it didn't work although it had before the upgrade.  So I sent
e-mails both to GMP and PERL, and the replies, which I appreciated,
advised me to re-build GMP.  I did that today, essentially following
what I had done last January -- I keep very careful notes whenever I
either install or upgrade --  to install GMP-4.1.2 using Perl-5.6.0
And now, after giving in the build directory ./configure, make, make
check (all tests passed), re-compiling example[1,2].c and testing (got
answer2 given in INSTALL), and make install, appeared to have
successfully re-installed GMP.  So first in ./demos/calc, rebuilt calc
and tested, and then in ./demos/expr did the same for run-expr.  So
went to ./demos/perl and gave perl Makefile.PL and then make.  Now
perl -Iblib/arch sample.pl runs successfully, so gave make test and
this is where I encountered a problem.  Where it had run successfully
when I build GMP-4.1.2 with Perl-5.6.0 now it gives an error only part
way through all the tests.  So I re-ran make test > perltest.txt 2>
perltest-errors.txt and have appended these files.  I did give make
install which appeared to run successfully.

So it appears to me there is a problem someplace between GMP-4.1.2 and
PERL-5.8.2 and I am left with not knowing whether the suggested new
build of GMP-4.1.2 has really succeeded.  I suspect the basic package
is okay and only the Perl part may be in question.

If you want, I would be glad to send you the files
./demos/perl/[Makefile,test.pl] and anything else you may want to
see.  Thanks in advance for any help you can give me is figuring out
why this suggested re-installation of GMP-4.1.2 has come up with this
problem.

I sent the above to bug-gmp@gnu.org since it is not clear to me
whether
the new problem I have encountered today is with GMP-4.1.2 or with
PERL-5.8.2.  I thought I should inform you what has happened since I
really appreciated you quick response to my original report of having
problems with GMP-4.1.2 after I upgraded to PERL-5.8.2.  Any help that
somebody at Perl can give me would be much appreciated, or perhaps you
would prefer to wait until the GMP people at GNU respond.

Tom Cundiff

url: http://rt.perl.org/rt2/attach/67792/50458/d5f76b/perltest.txt

url: http://rt.perl.org/rt2/attach/67792/50459/7a378b/perltest-errors.txt