Shlomi's docs: Shut up and do it

From:
Andy Lester
Date:
November 27, 2003 18:17
Subject:
Shlomi's docs: Shut up and do it
Message ID:
00422E27-2149-11D8-852E-000393BFA5FA@petdance.com
> A good idea to revitalize them and adapt them to our needs, would be to
> start a Phalanx like project for documentation.

I'm honored that you invoke Phalanx as an inspiration for this project.
  However, there's one key part of Phalanx that you missed: I started it
myself.  It wasn't a committee.  It wasn't me coming to p5p and saying
"Hey, guys, let's start a project!"  I never posted to p5p about it
until after I'd started it.  I just did it.

> Namely, we:
> 1. Collect user stories on what they did not understand in the
> documentation.
> 2. Assign volunteers to remedy these issues.
> 3. Assign volunteers to go over sections of the man pages and try to
> paraphrase them to make them clear enough.
> 4. Collectively decide where the man pages could use some
> re-organization,
> and re-organize them.

I think this is a great plan, except for one word.  Change "we" to "I".

Stop arguing about it and DO IT.  If it's a worthwhile project, people
will come on board and make things happen.  If it's not, then they
won't.  It's the way open source works.

I also suggest that you'll get better results without coming out with
both barrels saying "The docs suck and need to be replaced."

And I ask that the rest of p5p not bother squabbling about this.  Until
there's some actual content from Shlomi's project, there's nothin' to
really discuss.

xoa

--
Andy Lester