Re: Poor State of the Man Pages

From:
Russ Allbery
Date:
November 27, 2003 16:20
Re: Poor State of the Man Pages
Message ID:
87he0pe43d.fsf@windlord.stanford.edu
Abigail <abigail@abigail.nl> writes:

> You must have a totally different view of valuable documentation than I
> have. One reason I'm not as proficient with Python as I like to be is
> it's utter lack of documentation:

>     $ man python | wc -l
>     Reformatting python(1), please wait...
>         270
>     $ man python | grep 'SEE ALSO'
>     Reformatting python(1), please wait...
>     $

Well, Python doesn't use manual pages, but I'm not sure one can really say
that means it has an utter lack of documentation.  It ships with several
rather comprehensive manuals in HMTL.

I'd really prefer a manual page too, and I'm kind of annoyed at the way
that more and more major software packages these days are coming with tons
of different types of documentation, all of which are harder to access,
organize, and search than manual pages.  But it's still documentation.