Re: Poor State of the Man Pages

From:
Shlomi Fish
Date:
November 27, 2003 12:41
Re: Poor State of the Man Pages
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.56.0311272235300.12180@vipe.technion.ac.il
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003, Alan Burlison wrote:

> Shlomi Fish wrote:
>
> > Actually, let's assume for the moment that my friend can learn the
> > _basics_ of Perl from "Perl for Perl Newbies" or from "Beginning Perl"
> > which are both available online. In any case, he also needs a good
> > reference to consult with to cover the _whole_ of Perl.
> >
> > "Programming Perl" is such a good reference. However, it is not available
> > online for him to make use of. I can lend him my copy, but so far he
> > wanted to have a copy all of his own. And he found the man pages very hard
> > to understand.
>
> http://safari.oreilly.com/

Is it a gratis service? No. Is:

http://www.python.org/doc/2.3.2/

a gratis service? Yes!

Check:

http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/free-doc.html

And Perl is mentioned there speicifically.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

Shlomi Fish        shlomif@vipe.technion.ac.il

An apple a day will keep a doctor away. Two apples a day will keep two
doctors away.

	Falk Fish