hash tieing doc and function wishlist (again)

From:
david nicol
Date:
November 22, 2003 16:06
Subject:
hash tieing doc and function wishlist (again)
Message ID:
1069545930.1434.105.camel@plaza.davidnicol.com

another potential docpatch for perltie: when you call C<exists>
on a tied variable and EXISTS returns undef (instead of a defined
false value) Perl calls FETCH.  I'm not sure if that behavior is
documented or not.

About extending the TIE interface, it seems to me that
all the various things one does to a scalar could (should?)
be individuated to their own TIE methods, instead of requiring
everything to be wrapped up in a scalar, to get unwrapped again.
STRING and NUMBER could each have their own tie method and fall
through to FETCH if not defined.  And BOOL and DEFINED and REF.

I'm writing this without looking into what perl6 doc exists for
the perl6 tie API if any.

peace out

--
david nicol "I'll be working, working; but if you come visit I'll
put down what I'm doing: my friends are important" -- David Byrne