Re: useless, tedious re-makings when building perl

From:
Michael G Schwern
Date:
November 21, 2003 22:01
Re: useless, tedious re-makings when building perl
Message ID:
20031122060052.GG24476@windhund.schwern.org
On Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 05:12:17AM +0200, Enache Adrian wrote:
> Of course Peek.so is not out of date wrt. Peek.o, etc.
> This affects all targets that depend on blibdirs:
>
> blibdirs ::
>         $(NOECHO) $(MKPATH) \
> 	etc
>
> It seems that changing the ':' to '::' was intentional (it's in the
> MM 6.21 upgrade).
> What was the reason for that ?

Look at dir_target().  It needs to add to blibdirs.

A fix was discussed here and is currently in the MM snapshot.
Unfortunately, 5.6.2 went out without it.

I'm not really happy with that fix.  Seems hacky.  An alternative might be
something like this:

blibdirs : blibs dir_targets

blibs :
	$(NOECHO) $(MKPATH) ...
	... the stuff that's in blibdirs now...

dir_targets ::
	$(NOECHO) $(NOOP)

and then calls to dir_targets() would just add more dir_targets targets.

--
Michael G Schwern        schwern@pobox.com  http://www.pobox.com/~schwern/
My enormous capacity for love is being WASTED on YOU guys