[docpatch] PerlIO layers in perlrun.pod and PerlIO.pm

From:
Iain Truskett
Date:
November 19, 2003 06:00
Subject:
[docpatch] PerlIO layers in perlrun.pod and PerlIO.pm
Message ID:
20031119134132.GG21314@gytha.anu.edu.au
Earlier today, I was discussing layers and was stumped for
where the definitive list of layers was. I grepped for :unix
and found only perlrun.pod (which I thought was a bit
strange). I followed its reference to PerlIO and was happy
to see them there.

The patch attached fixes some problems:

  - Prefaces PerlIO.pm's =items with : so grep gives better
    results.

  - Makes PerlIO's list definitive rather than perlrun
    (which is meant to just be a summary). This involved
    making sure the PerlIO entries were the more informative
    while the perlrun entries were more cursory.

  - Documents the :mmap and :win32 layers in PerlIO.pm

Also a few minor spelling and grammar corrections.

I don't profess to knowing much about layers or PerlIO. I
don't consider myself to have properly read my results, but
it should be a better basis for someone more knowledgeable
to work from.

I'd prefer to have these in perllayers.pod or something but
that's probably too much of a major change.

cheers,
--
Iain.                                          <http://eh.org/~koschei/>