5.8.2 RC2

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
November 3, 2003 11:46
Subject:
5.8.2 RC2
Message ID:
20031103194535.GM6287@plum.flirble.org
	It's fun to charter an accountant
	And sail the wide accountan-cy,
	To find, explore the funds offshore
	And skirt the shoals of bankruptcy.

	Accountancy Shanty - Eric Idle/John Du Prez

I was hoping to avoid release candidate two, but there have been a few
significant tweaks since RC1. Notably

0: Jan Dubois has provided a patch to make threaded 5.8.2 binary compatible
   with 5.8.0. 5.8.1 accidentally broke binary compatibility with 5.8.0 for
   certain threaded functions, and we feel that given the choice of
   compatibility with only one, choosing 5.8.0 is the lesser of two evils.

1: Stas Bekman has worked tirelessly to figure out how I broke mod_perl, and
   we both think that it's all working now.

2: Dave Mitchell has fixed several more thread sharing leaks.

3: The change to UNIVERSAL has been taken out for now.

4: The caching of failure on %INC needs more work, and is out for now

RC2 actually escaped to CPAN this morning, so it's probably quite
widespread by now:

  http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/N/NW/NWCLARK/perl-5.8.2-RC2.tar.bz2

(or tar.gz if you really want a 25% larger download.)

Unless any show stoppers are reported within the next 48 hours I will weigh
the anchor, and 5.8.2 will be on her way.

And nothing The Very Big Corporation of America can do will stop us. :-)

Nicholas Clark