maint patching policy

From:
Nicholas Clark
Date:
November 2, 2003 12:42
Subject:
maint patching policy
Message ID:
20031102204226.GW6287@plum.flirble.org
As a general policy I am not applying patches to blead. Jarkko may have
done, but I'm not going to. If I start down that slippery slope I will
burn out. Unlike Jarkko, I am not superhuman.
The two exceptions to me applying patches are things I asked people to do,
and things I really want in a maint release.

Similarly patches should be against blead, not maint, unless they are for
code specific to maint. (eg 5.005 threads or pseudohashes) Stuff isn't going
into maint direct, it's all going via blead.  That way the automatic smokers
can test things on blead, and verify that they don't cause obvious problems,
before they get committed to the maint branch.

A possible consequence of this is that outstanding patches may sit on p5p,
and not get into a stable release simply because they haven't been applied
to blead. SO BE IT. Blead is not my problem. Merging things from blead to
maint is my problem, as is dealing with bug reports that no-one else deals
with. I think I have more than enough problems with just those two.

Nicholas Clark