Re: 5.8.2-RC1 and mp2

From:
Jan Dubois
Date:
November 2, 2003 02:10
Re: 5.8.2-RC1 and mp2
Message ID:
kjl9qv4jkvsdbdpggk0lp4hrglt4osfi4n@4ax.com
On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 01:00:03 -0800, Stas Bekman <stas@stason.org> wrote:

>Why do we need two variables? If PL_hash_seed is there only for binary
>compatibility, why not have the two point to the same thing? I've
>s/PL_hash_seed/PL_new_hash_seed/ in hv.[ch] and I've got everything working as
>well.

The reason for keeping PL_hash_seed permanently set to 0 is to maintain
binary compatibility with 5.8.1.  Modules compiled with the 5.8.1. version
of hv.h are using it in their PERL_HASH expansion *before* the new
rehashing scheme kicks in.

Of course it looks now like Nick has to choose between either 5.8.0 or
5.8.1 compatibility anyways (because of the REENTR problem), so that there
may not be much point to this.

But since the set of modules breaking due to different PERL_HASH
definitions is going to be different than the set breaking due to
different REENTR layout, it may still be worth maintaining PERL_HASH
compatibility even when going with the 5.8.0 REENTR layout.

Cheers,
-Jan