Re: L<> links in pod (was Re: 5.8.2 perldelta)

From:
Petras Kudaras
Date:
November 1, 2003 06:16
Re: L<> links in pod (was Re: 5.8.2 perldelta)
Message ID:
3FA3BE56.1090702@delfi.lt
Autrijus Tang wrote:

>On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 10:03:45PM +0100, Rafael Garcia-Suarez wrote:
>

>>Sean M. Burke wrote:
>>

>>>If I may critique podchecker for a minute:  BULLSHIT!
>>>

>>Well actually, if we reformulate F<...> as "this is an URI", pod2html's
>>habit to turn F<http://...> into links makes sense retroactively.
>>

>That contradicts existing usage.

Quickly grepping over the perl-current source tells that L<> is far more
commonly used for linking web addresses than F<>:

moxliukas@hacks:/mnt/perl/current$ grep -r 'L<http' . | wc -l
    151
moxliukas@hacks:/mnt/perl/current$ grep -r 'F<http' . | wc -l
     15

So my feeling would be that all those F<> should be changed to L<>s --
they only occur in a couple of PODs and modules DB_File,
ExtUtils::MakeMaker, ExtUtils::Install, Test::More, Test::Simple and
Test::Builder. I am attaching patches to perldelta.pod, perlreref.pod,
README.cygwin and README.tru64 that fixes F<>s to L<>s.

--
Petras Kudaras